Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today."

-- Martin Luther King Jr., Speech at Civil Rights March on Washington, Aug. 28, 1963

In the spirit of MLK Jr. the call to service for this national holiday is needed now more than ever. USA Service is one website where you can find service opportunities. I plan on donating feminine hygiene products and some canned food to a local food bank. On the Second Harvest website you can find local food banks. I am counting on my Animal Shelter hours as my ongoing commitment to my local community...I hope that with this initiative the volunteering bug will spread.

Oh course I have the day off. The sun is shining and it is slowly getting warmer. Yesterday I got the vacuum and other stuff for the house. So, today I am hoping to take it easy.
There are 13 basketball games on today! I will probably only watch 3, thank goodness we do not have cable, huh?! As I was looking up the start times I came across the article The Meaning of Obama: NBA Embraces New Leader's Message and it sounds as if Dreams from my Father would be right up my alley. (For more reasons than one.) I am excited in general, but it is even more exciting to think of an active, in shape president who also plays and watches basketball.

<span class=
Warren Skalski/NBAE via Getty Images

... And I could play basketball, with a consuming passion that would always exceed my limited talent ... --Barack Obama

No comments: